Monday, March 26, 2012

Up and at 'Em at Upton State Forest


OK, so maybe a 3.3-mile hike wasn't the most prudent choice for just our third outing as a family ... but, hey, 3.3 for hike No. 3? I like the numbers.

Then again, I had no idea really how long our hike into Upton State Forest was going to be. Sure, I could have eyeballed it using the small half- and quarter-inch scale on the PDF I printed out. But the hike looked innocent enough, being the main recommended path in the park. Loops are always nice, and this one was also marked as a "road" rather than one of the hiking trails -- wide enough for usage by bicyclists (saw a few of those) and horses (saw plenty of fresh "evidence," though no actual animals).

The loop that took us out to placid Dean Pond and back was relatively painless, unless you want to count the back pain that's been nagging me for a week now. I wouldn't let that slow me down, though, since walking helps ease it much more than sitting. For the most part, Jordyn was a good sport about the longish route, including finding a killer walking stick that I used toward the end. The highlight, for me at least, was when the two of us climbed up a good hunk of stone for a photo opp.

Actually, I would have loved to check out the real "Mammoth Rock" that lends its name to one of the offshoot trails, but we passed that trailhead toward the end and were ready to hit the parking lot. Overall I got the impression that Upton has plenty to offer, maybe not so much in exciting visuals, but in the sheer number of hikes available (there were many trails off the main paths) and the accessibility especially for family hiking.

Oh, and one more "3" related item -- Upton was great for dog spotting, including the three-legged canine we passed who was missing his right hind leg. Now there's a trooper. (Arlen)




No comments:

Post a Comment