Friday, April 27, 2012

Proud Times at Purgatory Chasm

It's never easy as a parent knowing when to loosen the leash on your child. You always want to protect them from harm or getting hurt. But kids are such adventurous creatures - it's part of why hiking should have some natural appeal for getting them to spend time outdoors!

At Purgatory Chasm State Reservation in Sutton, there's "danger" at just about every turn. Maybe that's why it's about the most fun yet I've had hiking with my 5-year-old daughter, Jordyn. But it wasn't easy. I had to keep telling myself, "It's OK, let her go - there's no way she's not leaving this place without some scrapes."

Purgatory is one of the coolest natural wonders in Massachusetts. It would certainly rank high if there were a vote. The main attraction is a quarter-mile corridor of granite rock formations and stone walls as high as 70 feet, perfect for kids who like to hop, climb and scramble over the potentially treacherous terrain. And I'm lucky enough to live about 15 minutes away from it, only I hadn't been there in seven or eight years. On a day off from work during school vacation, I took Jordyn there.

The place's popularity was evident by the packed parking lot and swarm of parents, teens and kids on the trail. There are actually some quieter peripheral trails through the woods, but I was particularly looking forward to feeding Jordyn's fondness for rocks. Plus the trail was truly cool -- there were a half-dozen or so spots whose cave-like features made standing there about 15 degrees cooler than the rest of the way.

The funny part is that Jordyn did her biggest damage before we even began the trail, tripping over a root. After shaking that off, she was good to go, and I did my best to hold my tongue as we trod along. Some of the time I held her hand or arm, but mostly she had free reign and most of the time, she wanted to take the lead -- even when we took a path all the way up to the area that overlooked the chasm (trails lead around its rim, as well, but we quickly went back down).

Well somehow we managed to go through the chasm and back without any fractures, breaks, bruises or cuts. Some minor scrapes and some dirty hands were well worth it for the fun time. I couldn't have been prouder of my little girl! Even though we're trying to hit as many state parks and forests as possible, we'll have to head back to Purgatory soon ... just not during school vacation. (Arlen)




1 comment:

  1. That sounds awesome! I bet Samilicious would love it, we'll have to go soon.

    ReplyDelete